The School of Sergeants of the Arms (ESA) is the Institution of Higher Education (Technologist) of the Brazilian Army, responsible for the formation of Sargentos Combatentes of Arms Race of: Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Engineering and Communications.
The structure is composed of lodgings, dining rooms, classrooms, laboratory, cultural space, library, auditorium, medical station, chapel, bridge park and an extensive sports area consisting of gymnasiums, soccer field, athletics track, swimming pool, field polo rink, equestrian trail and rope track. It has two fields of instruction: Atalaia Instruction Field with 4.6 km² area and Moacyr Araújo Lopes Instruction Field with an area of 20 km², the latter being about 40 km from Três Corações / MG.
ESA is directly subordinate to the Military Technical Education Board (DETMil) which, in compliance with the guidelines issued by the Department of Education and Culture of the Army (DECEx), guides and supervises the school's teaching activities.
Army History in TRÊS CORAÇÕES
On the evening of June 18, 1918, the 14th Regiment of Cavalry (14th RC), under the command of Cel ÁLVARO DE SOUZA PORTUGAL, arrives at TRÊS CORAÇÕES, coming from the neighboring city of CAMPANHA. It is said that the transfer would have been motivated by dissatisfactions caused by the recent installation of the Regiment in that city, then strongly influenced by the Catholic Church and home of the traditional SION College, frequented by young women from the most select strata of the southern mining society. suggests that the exit of the 14th RC from CAMPAIGN would be based on the firm and persistent refusal of the Campanhã agents to cede or donate the land for the construction of the quartering of the Unit (perhaps due to the first version).
In TRÊS CORAÇÕES, the 14th RC is exceptionally well received by the community and installs itself in part of the lands of "Chácara da Liberdade", formerly "Saco", located in one of the loops of the Rio Verde - , in the suburbs of TRÊS CORAÇÕES, property belonging to Cel VALÉRIO LUDGERO DE REZENDE (a little more than a year later, the area would be acquired by the Union).
On August 1, 1919, the 14th Cavalry Regiment was transformed into the 4th Division Cavalry Regiment (4th RCD).
In June 1946, the 4th RCD was extinguished, creating the 19th Cavalry Regiment (19th RC). The following year, the 19th RC was transferred, remaining in THREE HEARTS one of his squadrons, 1º / 19º RC. This subunit existed until 1949, when it was incorporated into the force of the ESA, then newly transferred to TRÊS CORAÇÕES.
(Extract from the book 4th Regiment of Cavalry Division and its History, authored by Cap Nelson Branco Ribeiro, Apr 2000).
The Creation of the Weapons Sergeant School
ESA was created on August 21, 1945, at the end of World War II, through Decree No. 7.888. He initially occupied part of the premises of the extinct Realengo Military School in RIO DE JANEIRO. The first class graduated in 1946.
Four years later, it is transferred to THREE HEARTS. He commanded the School the Ten Cel InfMIGUEL LAGE SAYÃO, its second Commander.
The transfer to the South of Minas Gerais
On September 18, 1949, the tricordian population, members of the 1º / 19ºRC and students from all schools flocked to Getúlio Vargas Avenue to watch the parade by the Minister of War, General CANROBERT PEREIRA DA COSTA, in an open car. next to him the Mayor tricordiano, Mr. ODILON REZENDE ANDRADE.
The visit represented the result of the understandings that were taking place, in RIO DE JANEIRO, between these two public men.
The Minister announced to the public that he had already signed the document transferring from Realengo to THREE HEARTS the School of Arms Sergeants. And, also, that all the difficulties for the change had already been overcome, thanks to the decisive support of the Mayor.
On November 1, 1949, as stated in the Internal Bulletin of the School, still based in Realengo, ... by determination of the Minister of War, a commission was appointed, in order to recognize the quartering and other conditions of character general of the city of Três Corações.
On November 3, a special army commission arrives in the city, where it remains for three days. On December 5, 1949, Decree 27,543 was signed, which transfers the headquarters of ESA from RIO to TRÊS CORAÇÕES.
On January 3, 1950, another team arrives at TRÊS CORAÇÕES.
In the following months, the entire structure of the ESA begins to be transferred to TRÊS CORAÇÕES:
- 21 of March of 1950 - follows to the tricordiana city the first train, conducting the Veterinary Training and the animals belonging to the Squadron of Cavalry and Battery of Artillery;
- 1st of April - part of Realengo the 2nd train, transporting personnel and material from the Command Company, Transmissions Park, Warehouse, Weapons, House of Orders, Teaching Directorate and Student Corps;
- 20 and 25 of April - leave the Realengo the 5th and 6th trains with the rest of the students, armaments and auxiliary materials;
- 3 of May of 1950 - arrives to the City the TC Inf MIGUEL LAGE SAYÃO; is the date on which the School of Sergeants of the Arms celebrates its installation in TRÊS CORAÇÕES.
Finally, on May 25, 1950, the installation of the ESA was completed in the old 4th RCD barracks, occupying an approximate area of 300,000 m², in the heart of the City (in fact, in the heart of the "três corações").
The following years to the present day
On November 18, 1950, the Minister of War, General CANROBERT PEREIRA DA COSTA, visits ESA and attends the commemorative parade held by all the schools in the City. Soon after, in a luncheon in his honor, the General receives from the Mayor ODILON REZENDE ANDRADE the title of "Tricordiano Citizen".
The first group of sergeants formed in tricordian lands concluded the course on December 21, 1950. At that time, ESA formed sergeants of Infantry Weapons, Cavalry, Artillery and Engineering.
In commemorating the first anniversary of ESA's installation in TRÊS CORAÇÕES, its Commander, Ten Cel Inf MIGUEL LAGE SAYÃO, had the message published in the Bulletin of the School effusive, whose most striking passages are transcribed below:
"In an effort to alleviate and overcome the innumerable natural difficulties caused to the School by the abrupt change of parade, the hospitallers, distinguished, helpful and solicitous authorities and people who, with open hearts, active foreheads, appear without distinction as true sons of this land, in a a show of brotherly affection for their brothers and sisters from all over the country, from Oiapoque to Chuí, and who toil in the arduous works of this school barracks, far from the comforting comfort of their families.
It is obvious to emphasize the highly dignified role played by the simple and friendly people of Three Hearts, allowing an intense work in the continuity of social education, by the close and never denied all its elements. It is with great pleasure that this command once again underscores the generous contribution of the Tricordian People, to see through it and its worthy representatives all the sound understanding of the mission of this House, where the essential elements for the organization of this House are forged. a powerful force, the Army, which is largely responsible for maintaining integrity, national security, social preservation and the safeguarding of the Brazilian family and homeland.
We bow down to the people of the Três Corações who are proud and proud, in order to inspire their confidence.
Três Corações, May 3, 1951 ".
The Communications Course was created on February 9, 1961, through Ordinance Nr 280, and worked until 1969 at the School of Communications. Later, in 1979, the C Com is reactivated, becoming operational in ESA.
Between the years of 1970 and 1976, ESA ceased to train sergeants and worked only with the improvement course, returning to graduate training in 1977.
In 1979, the School adopted its symbolic phrase, known throughout the Brazilian Army and perennial on the balcony of the command pavilion: Sergeant: a fundamental link between Command and Troop, the theme of the inaugural lecture given that year by the then Director of Formation and Perfection, Gen Div HERMANN BERCKVIST.
On November 28, 1994, through Ordinance No. 150, of the Army General Staff, the ESA Command and Service Battalion (BCSv / ESA) was created.
In 2005, the Brazilian Army introduces significant changes in the training system of career sergeants of the Ground Force: the duration of the Training Courses for Sergeants (CFS) is doubled, from 10 (ten) to 19 (nineteen) months; In addition, operational military organizations are part of and contribute directly to the training of the professional graduate. Twelve (12) "troop corps organizations with sergeant training charges", or simply OMCT, responsible for the Basic CFS.
On April 27, 2007, according to Ordinance No. 229, of April 23, 2007, the Army Commander granted to the Sargentos Armas School the historical denomination "SCHOOL SERGEANT MAX WOLF FILHO".
In its more than sixty years of existence, ESA has trained more than 25,000 sergeants and perfected about 5,600 military personnel. He has already counted, in his student body, military personnel from the Brazilian Navy, the Brazilian Air Force, the Military Police and the Friendly Nations.
Change in ESA anniversary date
According to Ordinance No. 194 of the Secretary General of the Army, dated May 9, 2017, the date of ESA's birthday was changed from August 21, 1945 to May 28, 1894.
The new anniversary date of ESA, May 28, 1894, was instituted after intense historical research where it was found that ESA's forming element was the "School of Sergeants", created in Rio de Janeiro, through Decree 330 , dated April 12, 1890, but only began his term as of the Order of the Day No. 552, May 28, 1894, by the Minister of War.